Friday, December 30, 2005

Straight from the gut : Analysis

The image “http://www.law.mcgill.ca/elmftaaconference/images/logos/ge.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

An excellent book. I had posted earlier about how GE the company was taking the drastic changes "inflicted" by JW.
I sometimes feel he was lucky; Six Sigma, e-Business, Globalization all worked for him. GE set the standards. I was inspired enough to start dreaming about working for GE; well, let us see, if I feel it is good enough :-).
Passion is the key word here, plenty of it in his book. The book screams at you to take control of your life. Be a balanced extrovert at all times, seize every opportunity, climb every wall and never hesitate to Fire.
As he fittingly says "If you don't take control of your life's destiny, someone else will" (or some similar quote, I don’t remember the exact words)
Maybe his policies of fire the bottom 10% is not practiced heavily all around, but it worked wonders at GE, and look at them now. They have their hands into everything, and its not peripheral, it goes deep.
GE Capital is the paragon of JW's and GE's core ideology. It's still a little small in India but let us see.
GE was one of the first companies to practice - "Move Businesses to places where they are executed the best". Example: Software is outsourced to India, because of India's growing expertise and cheap labor. Globalization is continuously happening all around us.

"Fire the bottom 10%" - This is never gonna happen in my company for sure. Worst case, they get a CRR 4. Masti karo, enjoy and then move on; not in GE my dear.

"If you don't take control of your life's destiny, someone else will" - Very apt in India's scenario. Clever management can get any person a foothold of the situation and exploit it to one's benefit. I'm not saying its wrong, nothing is (except when it happens to you).
I've seen plenty of examples in My IT Company. I feel like helping them sometimes, not at my own expense. A little selfish maybe, but in Infy, I think it is a must sometimes.

"Boundaryless" - Pretty well practiced in Infy too. I'm going to carry this with me forever. No hierarchy, everyone is equal when at the table. And never expect the table to perform and stop blaming it. It's the people around it, who need to come to a consensus.

"What has the Company done for me?" - This is pretty often asked by millions of the working class. Hell, even I used to crib about with the same statement. Not after I've read this book. "What have I done for the Company?" comes first. It will treat you with the same respect, which you treat it with. This is why I am taking Infy's blows at me currently, silently, but remembering every moment of it.

"E-Business" - E-Business is big now. I read about ING-Vysya today, on how there using blogs to promote their insurance work. This is a first, I thought: but there have plenty of the same. Everything is online these days; the debate "Is the Computer a necessary evil?" is dead.

"Globalization”: I'm including this because of the book that I’m reading currently - "The World is Flat". Imagine a world without boundaries, no barriers to information or data. Actually, one needn't imagine anymore, the globalized world is already here. I'm not going to talk about the flip side of globalization here; lets keep it positive today. Cheers to limitless FDI flowing into India.

So much more to say, will write as it flows through my keyborad.....

2 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger sat said...

yet to read.but am sure not touching it now with so much piled up.....and lol i cud get the message when u were talking abt infy!!

 
At 1:19 AM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Ram said...

Pegster!!
Happy New year buddy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home