Monday, December 05, 2005

Reading...

I've found a new love in my life, and surprise of surprises it's reading.. I've never been the avid reader, swallowing book after book, in a never ending quest for knowledge or let's say entertainment. I more been the TV guy; if my communication is any good, it's because of the myriad of movies that I have watched during my high school and college.
I used to be a solid movie buff, with latest updates on any English movie, let it be action, sci-fi, comedy or romance.
A break from this routine started when I joined infy. I tried to carry and continue my movie routine into the company. Used to stay late in my cubicle and watch movies incessantly. But it was slowly fading. By the end of 2004, it was completely phased out. I had no new updates on any of the latest movies, let alone watch them.
After an unsuccessful swing at both CAT and GRE, I got back to my "workaholic" ways.

Jun 2005 :
Life moved on, with me waiting impatiently for the future to unfold. I new this year was going to make or break it all. And I was determined for it to be the former.
I had a set of interesting friends during my affair with CAT 2005. These guys helped me realize that life is more than just an exam, it's about taking your chances well; and not to get too disappointed when you miss with a big or a small swing.

We used to spend time at Anupam's place, whether we used to study or not, our endless MBA jargon used to keep flowing to make us feel better and to instill some confidence into the hearts for a few of us. (who would have of course flopped the aimcat during the past week)

I've totally veered away from my topic, wanted to make my previous para a separate post, but just couldn't stop.

As for books, I came across a wide variety of books at Anupam's place. I always had an inner voice telling me to go ahead and give priority to reading, but I never took a single step towards it.
Newspapers and magazines were ok, I used to read them a lot; but books which take you into the author's world, seldom.

I borrowed two books from Anupam's that day; "The future of Capitalism" and "Catch 22". I started with Catch 22, grappled through a few pages and ditched it.
Too "whatever" for a start after a long hiatus.
My other friend Satheesh suggested "The Alchemist", a short 200 page book with a good easy to read print. He warned me though about it being a little heavy.
"Perfect!", I told myself.
By this time, I was literally going mad, because my inner voice was screaming, urging me to start with a book asap.

When my friend suggested the Alchemist, I had decided that I would get it from Odyssey in the evening.
By evening, the Chennai showers has started. It was raining elephants and hippopotamuses.
I wasn't goona be shaken by a few drops; I battered along and reached Odyssey on foot. Got the book and headed home.

After dinner, I stared on the book, it was interesting in a way, totally abstract, yet making sense somewhere inside me. I finished the book in about 3-4 days; not bad for starter I thought. I felt refreshed, doing something else other than studying for CAT or sitting in my cubicle, getting wasted away.

Coincidently my Dad got "The Monk who sold his Ferrari" on the same day. My dad had not bought a book for a long time, as far as I can remember. He always used his office library.

This was a sure sign, I was on my way, into this new world. It seemed exciting and surreal.

More books followed; I'm currently reading Jack Welch's Straight from the gut, and boy I have a lot to say about this book. It will be in a separate post I guess.

As for this one, I'm finishing off this one by hoping that this new love would continue forever as my other love, in my life.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, December 11, 2005, Blogger DK said...

The beauty in the new found passion is in the perseverence! - yours truly ! :-)

Happy reading machi !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home